Saturday 6 September 2014

Anni Long Stockings and Memory Metals

One problem with having a thrifting buddy who has a very similar style as you is that you have to fight over clothes. I found this shirt while thrifting the other day with Katie, and I nearly made her cry because she wanted it so badly. Katie begged and pleaded and I eventually had to give it to her - mainly because she looks exactly like Pippi Longstockings - with the caveat that I got to borrow it whenever I liked. So, being the great friend that I am, I stole it back off her almost immediately ;)
You may have noticed that I titled this post "Anni Long Stockings". Anni is actually what my family and close friends call me, rather than Annika. This stems from me being a bratty 12-year-old who, deciding I loathed the name "Annika", violently attacked anyone who decided to address me so. Soooo, my family basically got this weird pavlovian reaction where they flinch upon accidentally calling me Annika (probably still thinking they're going to get punched by an angry 12 year-old), and the name Anni stuck, even though I actually prefer Annika now. I was a super bratty 12-year-old.

The more you know. 

Update: My mum (my blog's biggest fan hehe) just messaged me to tell me that one of Pippi's best friends was called Annika, which I totally didn't know. My mum loved Pippi as a kid, and it could be one of the reasons that I am called Annika!
Top is thrifted | skirt is thrifted | necklace c/o Ginger Pickle | socks are from Clear It | shoes are Naot

Memory metals! They're a thing! I can't actually believe that this exists:
A nickel-titanium alloy, this metal is able to revert back to the shape that it was created in using "heat memory". To create the desired shape, it needs to be heated to a "transformation temperature" - usually around 65 - 80°C. When it cools down, it becomes flexible and can be molded into any shape. However, once it hits that "transformation temperature" again (like being put into a hot water bath), its atoms remember their previous arrangement, and it springs back into its previous shape.

Called Nitinol, the metal has proved useful in medical applications, helping arteries retain their shape and removing clots from deep inside the brain, and has even been used in eyeglass frames.

So cool.

I hope that you're all having a beautiful day,







Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

25 comments:

  1. This outfit reminds me of the perfect pippi longstocking pair of tights i got off etsy and have shoved in the back of my closet for what seems like an eternity. Breaking those out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O Pippi longstocking tights?!!! Ahh Please send me a photo!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely outfit! But how did the whole name incident thing not come up when I interviewed you about middle school? Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look totally adorable! I love those stories and the films as well! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute post - and how funny about the Annika name coincidence! I wish I had a thrifting buddy to share clothes with :)

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Sammi ^ I so wish I had a thrifting buddy. That top is too cute and I love the bright orange socks <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Sammi should just move to Australia already ;)

      Delete
  7. AAAAAHHH! I love Pippi Longstocking! The books were my favorites when I was a kid (along with all the other books by the same author, such as Ronia the Robber's Daughter...) ah, the childhood memories ^_^ I think almost every kid in Scandinavia has read Astrid Lindgren's books, or their parents have read the books to them. :D (hi from Finland.)

    Yes, Pippi's neighbors and best friends are Tommi and Annikka (it's actually with two k's in the original versions), it's so fun to know that you are sort of named after Annikka. :)
    Kudos for the outfit, although your over-the-knee socks should be of different colors... just saying ;)

    You need to get a thrifting buddy whose size doesn't match yours. Me (180cm) anf my friend (154cm) go thrifting together and we don't need to fight over clothes because what fits one doesn't fit the other ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha i do actually have a really tall thrifting buddy as well, with a slightly darker style to my own. It's good when I go with her, because we never have to fight!

      I know, my knee socks totally should have been different haha but I just couldn't find a combination which looked okay with this outfit, rather than "Annika has lost the plot" haha. One always seems to be shorter than the other though so.... that totally counts ;)

      Delete
  8. I love Pippi Longstocking, I remember my favourite tshirt when I was young with Pippi and Mr Nillsson

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look awesome! I'm like you with your friend- me and my bestie are always trying to steal each others clothes :)
    I hated my name as a kid (Jodie) because everyone would call me Jo. I flinch whenever anyone calls me Jo even now! I used to get people to call me Marie (my middle name) and as I've got older I use "Jodie Marie" as a double barrel first name. (I think it's because I had a friend called " Jodie-Leigh" so always liked it)
    Memory metals are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suuuuch a cute outfit :P everyone gets called pippi at some point haha, I have long hair and whenever I wore it in plaits I got called Pippi! Not that I look anything like her haha.
    Just wanna say you're blog (and Katie's) really inspire me so so much. You guys seem like me, but more together haha. I love science as well, wish I could post it on my blog but I'm terrible at writing science so everyone can understand it :( also need to get my organisation skills if I want to produce awesome blog posts! xoxo
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww! Vintage tees from thrift shop is the coolest thing ever<33
    I really like your pippi tee! omg !!:(

    Adventure of P-Chaaaan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and I LOVE your style! So cute! That skirt is pretty great; I just thrifted a skirt with that same pattern in a different style, and also wore orange stockings (well, tights) with it. I think skirts with tees like this is one of my favorite styles.
    And that metal is so, so cool and crazy!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see both of you really matching Pippi! You've got the colour, and she's got the lengths. Guess you just have to share! I love that you had the perfect pair of orange socks to go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I just found your blog and I love it!! Question: what kind of dye do you use on your hair? I tried to do a google search of your blog to find this out because I didn't want to bother you with a question you probably get all the time, but all I turned up is that it's some kind of box dye. I'd love to know which kind, if you don't mind sharing -- you have the exact perfect shade I've been trying/failing to get all summer. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to following your blog from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I loved Pippi when I was little.

    Miranda
    Little Gold Pocket Watch

    ReplyDelete
  16. That shirt was a really great find! I wish I had a friend who'd come thrifting with me. I've always loved my name, I think partially because I didnt know anyone else with it. Although I did get the nickname 'Ank' from my friends around the same age as you opted for Anni

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now i want memory metal paper clips…so cool! Love the pippi top :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay wat?! Memory metals.. that is pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love that shirt!!! And I love Pippi Longstockings too <3 I used to watch tv show when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails