Tuesday 5 August 2014

Nautical Astronauts & The Tree of 40 Fruit

Shirt, skirt and cardigan are thrifted | necklace c/o Ginger Pickle (Eclectic Eccentricity) | shoes are Naot | socks from Clear It | Lace shorts are years old (Wholesale)

I am back at university and have been having a few health issues - nothing too scary, hopefully - but that might mean that my blogging/video-making will become more sporadic over the next little while (I hope it won't, but just a warning!) Because uni has started again - and I've started being recognised by strangers from my blog/instagram/youtube - I've been aiming to look stylish & cute on campus - but I've also wanted to stay cozy because I haven't been feeling 100%. The perfect solution? Stealing my boyfriend's super comfy cardigan! 

No matter how many clothes you have, I think that it's always more satisfying to wear someone else's! Does anyone else agree?

(By the way - I think the shirt that I'm wearing is a little kids shirt, hahaha. Oh well, it fits! And looks cute!)

Now this is just the coolest combination of art and science - the tree below produces 40 different varieties of peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines, cherries and almonds (which are NOT nuts - what?!)
Image source: Sam Van Aken

The tree didn't start out like this - each different species has been carefully grafted onto the branches of the tree as it has grown, over a process of 5 years. It looks like a normal tree for most of the year, but during spring it blooms into a variety of different colours, and then grows 40 types of fruit in the summer. It's a project of art professor Sam Van Aken, who has made 16 of these trees so far, and is also used to conserve rare varieties of fruit that would otherwise be lost! To make the trees, the technique of chip budding is used - the bud of the desired tree is inserted into the working tree, left to heal over the winter, and if all goes to plan it will grow like a normal branch on the working tree! 

Read more about the process here.

I hope that you're all having a wonderful start to the week!







p.s. I was featured on the beautiful blog B-looom today, sharing my everyday make up routine! So if you were ever interested in how I do my make up - something I have actually never shared on my blog before - go and check it out!


Bloglovin' | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

10 comments:

  1. Okay, I've never heard of doing this to trees, but that is absolutely amazing. Definitely want to see one in person now. And you look so cute, especially with that comfy looking cardigan. Hope you feel better and good luck in uni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely insane, what an amazing tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit is stunning !
    I also had never heard about the tree before but it looks amazing !
    Good luck at uni !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is super cute. I love that top! I hope you feel better soon ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tree is so cool!
    And I hope you start to feel better.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an adorable outfit :) Feeling very inspired by your thrifted outfits lately, found a gorgeous mint green peter pan collar dress today and was so chuffed!
    Hope you feel better soon x

    http://melly-go-round.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of that tree! I can't believe there's so many stone fruits that would have been extinct.
    - http://cloneconcept.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tree is insane! And that cardigan looks so comfy!
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, that tree is amazzzzing! Imagine if everyone had one in their back garden? Hope you feel better soon. And yes other people's clothes are always better haha

    Cats in Crop Tops

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woh that tree is awesome! I've never heard of that before. What a cool idea!
    Also you look adorable and comfy which is a great combination. That cardigan looks so cozy. I really like the mix of shades of blue in this outfit too!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails