Sunday 21 April 2013

Plaid & Lace / Capturing an Asteroid

I really like pairing plaid with lace. This plaid skater skirt from Choies is exactly what I've been looking after for ages - it also looks great (although super preppy, but I don't mind) paired with suspenders. This lace shirt is also a versatile wardrobe piece - throw it on over a dress on a cooler day when you don't want to completely cover up with a sweater. I've been doing this a lot lately, now we're finally coming into some colder weather here!

shirt - c/o Oasap
skirt - c/o Choies
shoes - Chicory
socks - c/o Sock Dreams

So NASA's next big plan, after sending Curiosity up to Mars last year (...who incidentally hopefully won't be obliterated by a possible collision with Mars and a comet next year, but that's another story), is to capture an asteroid and bring it into stable orbit around the Earth. What NASA want to do is to use an unmanned robot vehicle to capture the asteroid, then bring it back into orbit where it can be studied and explored by humans, and also mined for things like water - to provide to the international space station (for whom it currently costs thousands of dollars per kg of water sent there). Exactly how the asteroid will be captured is still unclear, but NASA believe with new technology coming out of physics and engineering, it can be done within 10 years. I think that this is really exciting. Although hopefully NASA will be able to figure out how to stop the asteroid colliding with all the thousands of satellites and space junk currently in orbit around Earth. It's a pretty huge job! Read more about it here.







Bloglovin' | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Chictopia | Lookbook | Tumblr

16 comments:

  1. I'm always interested in all the cool stuff NASA is doing or is trying to do! We're living in the future!
    Also, this plaid skater skirt is wonderful! I love the schoolgirl vibe with the knee socks. The lace top is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kind of look like a Japanese schoolgirl. Very cute!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sweet :D It takes a lot to pull of plaid with such grace, I tip my hat to you!
    http://melly-go-round.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want your hat! ahah

    http://andagoodnight.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lace shirt! Ah, so beautiful. Also, the asteroid thing sounds pretty interesting. I kind of imagine a bunch of scientists sitting round and going 'What shall be do next?' 'Asteroid hunting! Get out your nets everyone' It almost sounds like the kind of thing they might just be doing for fun... :O

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have been trying to find those shoes with no luck could you please help me? love your blog x best i have found sine a beautiful mess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a huge compliment, thank you!!! These are from japan, and I know that it is really hard to find shoes like this online! The only place I've found similar ones is the websites topb2c and milanoo, although they don't have the best reviews as websites go so it may be a little risky. Sammydress (who I trust a little more) had kind of velveteen versions of these shoes if you want to look there as well. I will look out for a good pair though, and post a link on my blog when I do :)

      Delete
  7. thank you so much you are a star! i love how you have the little sciencey bits in with the fashiony bits! i am just in my final year of wildlife conservation & zoo biology so its nice to see a funky smart girl talking about intellectual things aswel as lovely clothes and a cool blog! well done x

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this lace reminds me of spool72.com, which is by the way one of the cutest online shops I've ever seen (: The outfit is really cute and I love how you're not wearing your wigs, even though they are beautiful, in your new posts, because this haircut looks so spicy and cute, a combination you can definitely pull off (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, thanks for introducing me, what a cute little shop! And thank you so much for that - I still have to force myself not to wear a wig for every single outfit photo but I am really starting to like my el natural hair too ;)

      Delete
  9. Chris - @nylonlover69 on Twitter23 April 2013 at 04:09

    So cute! Those socks would totally be down around my ankles... I can't keep otk socks over my knees to save my life... maybe I need to start using glue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha i had a friend who did that in highschool! Sock dreams also has these sock garter things which work pretty well in keeping socks up, maybe you should consider investing in a pair ;)

      Delete
    2. Also fyi these otk's stay up pretty damn well. i probably only adjust about once an hour, which is good!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails