Tuesday 25 September 2012

DIY Pastel Windowsill Bunting (using paint)

I came up with this quick painting project the other day when I was meant to be studying (that's always the way with my DIYs. If I wasn't procrastinating on more important things, there's no way I'd have all these creative inspirations). Rather than hanging up bunting underneath my windowsill, I decided to paint it on instead.
Unfortunately the lighting in my bedroom is awful, so this was the best photo I could get of it. I was also thinking of adding stripes/spots to some of the bunting in contrasting colours, but now I'm not sure if I just like it how it is. What do you guys think?

I also took some photos of the steps involved, so you can try it out if you want!
 1. Cut out a triangle from cardboard. This is going to be your stencil.
2. Place the top left edge of your triangle right under the bottom corner of your window sill. Trace with lead pencil.
2. Trace triangles all along underneath your window sill until you reach the other end. Join all the triangles up like in the picture above (sorry it's really hard to see the pencil lines in this photo)
 3. On a palette (ie... a bit of cardboard or equivalent), place a teeny amount of a few different colours. I used yellow, blue, red (to make pink), green and red + blue (to make purple). Then add a much larger quantity of white paint to the colour. This is how you will make your pretty pastel colours! Of course, if you already have pastel paint then feel free to use that.
 4. Mix the colour with the white... and you now have a few pretty pastel colours.
5. Paint your colours into the triangles you drew up! You will need quite a thin brush for the corners of the triangles. After waiting for it to dry (for at least a few hours), rub out the pencil lines with an eraser. And you are done!

5 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails