Sunday 4 March 2012

DIY Swan Sweater Tutorial


Hello beautiful readers!

Here is promised Swan Sweater DIY (velvet circle skirt tutorial later today!)



(He looks a little different than yesterday, that's because I gave him a little bowtie after seeing this swan cardigan from Modcloth!)

Inspiration:


Modcloth's "Swanning Over You" Cardigan


Dorothy Perkins Swan Sweater

What you do:

1. Get your sweater. Woolen knits work fine for this, as well as more synthetic ones. Too thick though, and you may run into problems.
 2. Cut out your swan from white (or any colour!) fabric. Either use a stencil (search swan silhouette in google images perhaps?) or draw by hand!
 3. Place it onto the front of your sweater. Pin to sweater, make sure you're pinning ONLY to the front.

 4. Put your sweater on carefully to check that the placement is correct. If it all looks good, you can start sewing!
 5. Using a small zigzag stitch, go around the edges of your swan, stopping to lift the presser foot occasionally to readjust and make sure it isn't wrinkling!


6. Now you've attached your swan! Add details such as bows, eyes, feathers, little feet... whatever takes your fancy! Get creative!

I decided just a little necktie bow was enough for my swan. I used just a small length of white ribbon, tied it in a bow, and sewed it into place by hand using white thread.


Come back in a few hours for my velvet circle skirt tutorial!

xxx Annika


5 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the bow tie.

    http://www.katieleee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, adorable! I might be brave and give this a shot!

    Emily Wears Things
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bloody love that Modcloth cardigan. My birthday is in September. I want a swan jumper. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is way too cute, thanks for sharing!

    XO
    www.laceandpearlsbyroos.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly adorable! I'm very inspired to make myself my own animal sweater! Perhaps a stag head...
    Just lovely; you never fail to inspire me!

    Ivy & Rosebuds
    ♡ ♡ ♡

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails